American Dad! is an American adult animated sitcom created by Seth MacFarlane, Mike Barker, and Matt Weitzman for the Fox Broadcasting Company. American Dad!is the first television series to have its inception on Animation Domination. The series premiered on February 6, 2005, following Super Bowl XXXIX, three months before the rest of the first season aired as part of the Animation Domination block, commencing on May 1, 2005.
The series focuses on the eccentric upper middle class Smith family in the fictional community of Langley Falls, Virginia and their three housemates: Father, husband, CIA agent, Republican, and breadwinner Stan; his wife and homemaker/housewife, Francine; their liberal, hippie, college-aged daughter, Hayley; and their dorky high-school-aged son, Steve. There are three additional main characters, including Hayley's boyfriend and later husband, Jeff Fischer; the family's unusual goldfish, Klaus, who has the brain of an East German athlete; and Roger, the alien, who is a deceitful, self-serving master of disguise. Stan's boss Avery Bullock, the Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, is a recurring character.
Why It Rocks
- Great animation, despite being exactly like Family Guy.
- Decent voice acting, especially from MacFarlane himself.
- Very catchy and memorable theme song that proved how faithful it is to the United States.
- Some episodes have very epic action scenes.
- Clever writing and humor. It doesn't help that, unlike Family Guy, the jokes have actual relevance to the plot.
- Roger the Alien is a great comic relief character.
- Roger's disguises are some of the best things about the show, especially his "pure evil" alter-ego Ricky Spanish.
- Tons of memorable characters, such as the aforementioned Roger, Avery Bullock and Principal Lewis.
- Good character designs. Stan and Roger's character designs are very recognizable and funny.
- Was the first Seth MacFarlane shows to not make any cutaway gags just for a change. This helps the show to be unique from Family Guy.
- Great episodes like "Rapture's Delight", "Stan Of Arabia", "Tearjerker", "Rabbit Ears", "American Dream Factory", "Dope And Faith", "Spring Break Up", "Haylias" and "American Dad After School Special"
- Many likable characters.
- Tackles Topics such as Anorexia back in Season 3.
- There were some characters from Family Guy appearing in some episodes of this show.
- Unlike Family Guy, it stays consistent.
- There is always a moral at the end of every episode (most of the time)
- The very early episodes are very dated and weird to those used to the later episodes.
- Some terrible episodes like "American Fung" (The most infamous), "The Mural Of The Story", "Stan's Best Friend", and "Love, AD Style".
- Minor overuse of incest jokes, especially in the episode: "Pulling Double Booty".
- Sometimes Stan can be pretty unlikable of a character.
- As with Family Guy, the animation quality took a bit of a hit later in the series.
- Season 12 hit a minor quality drop in the series when it moved to TBS, luckily, it improved in Season 14.