Blue's Clues is an American children's television series that premiered on Nickelodeon in 1996. Producers Angela Santomero, Todd Kessler, and Traci Paige Johnson combined concepts from child development and early-childhood education with innovative animation and production techniques that helped their viewers learn. It was hosted originally by Steve Burns, who left in 2002 and was replaced by Donovan Patton. The show follows an animated blue-spotted dog named Blue as she leaves a treasure hunt for the host and the viewers. Blue's Clues became the highest-rated show for preschoolers on American commercial television and was critical to Nickelodeon's growth. It has been called "one of the most successful, critically acclaimed, and ground-breaking preschool television series of all time." A spin-off called Blue's Room premiered in 2004.
In March 2018, Nickelodeon announced a reboot of the series, which became titled Blue's Clues & You! which premiered on November 11, 2019.
Why This Era Rocks
- Simplistic, but well done animation. In addition, the mix of live action and animation turned out to be pretty well done.
- Nice show intro and song.
- It actually taught kids healthy lessons.
- It ran for 10 years like Ed, Edd n Eddy, but this show instead ran from 1996-2006.
- Steve Burns (or simply just Steve) was an awesome host.
- The animated characters are cute and lovable, especially Blue.
- Catchy songs, like the Mailtime song and the So Long song.
- The episode, Steve Goes To College was pretty emotional, especially since Steve himself has been the host for about six years.
- The episode, Blue's Big Holiday, was nice because it went through each holiday one by one and gave all of them the same amount of respect, even calling Christmas a "birthday" instead of "Santa's day".
- The show got a great reboot, called Blue's Clues & You!.
- Some of the animated characters may look a bit like adults, but it’s weird that they tend to have child voices.
- The show went downhill after Steve left for college at the end of Season 4. Joe, who replaced Steve in Season 5, is a bad host whose acts more hammy, goofy, and clueless than Steve did. He also has bad hair.
- Blue's Room is a lackluster spin-off compared to the original show.
- The show’s UK version wasn't as good as the original US version. Steve Burns were replaced with Kevin Duala (he was still good, even though they didn’t need to edit Steve out), made Sidetable Drawer sound like a woman rather than a kid and even cut out some episodes for no given reason.
- They also never dubbed Blue's Big Musical Movie or Blue's Room, and obviously never dubbed "Meet Joe", "Joe Gets a Clue" and "Steve Goes To Collage", due to Kevin never being replaced.
- The talking clues.
- Blue, Magenta, and Green Puppy sometimes don't move their mouths when they talk.