CatDog is an American animated television series created by Peter Hannan for Nickelodeon. The series depicts the life of conjoined brothers, with one half being a cat and the other a dog. Nickelodeon produced the series from Burbank, California. The first episode aired on April 4, 1998 (following the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards), before the show officially premiered in October that year. The Season 2 episode "Fetch" was also shown in theaters with The Rugrats Movie before airing on TV.
The series aired on Nickelodeon from April 4, 1998 to June 15, 2005 for four seasons and 68 episodes. The series was produced by Nickelodeon Animation Studio and Peter Hannan Productions and has been released on DVD.
The series revolves around Cat and Dog a conjoined twin hybrid of a cat and a dog who share the same body with no tail or hind legs and although they are best friends and brothers, they have very different personalities, similar to The Odd Couple mixed with elements of Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello and fellow Nicktoon The Ren & Stimpy Show. Cat is very cultured while Dog is very fun-loving and enjoys chasing garbage trucks, chasing cars, and exploring many things in which Cat does not want to take part. Dog enjoys eating at fast food restaurants (such as Taco Depot), whereas Cat does not. The series takes place in Nearburg, a town dominated by anthropomorphic animals and the occasional humanoid.
Why It Rocks
- Catchy bluegrass theme song.
- Cat and Dog are both likable characters that have opposite personalities, and work off each other very well.
- Very smooth animation.
- The idea of a conjoined cat and dog is weird, but interesting.
- The voice acting is very good, as it utilizes the talents of Tom Kenny, Jim Cummings, and many more.
- Decent episode plots, such as Cat and Dog trying to sneak back into a taco restaurant they were banned from.
- It even had a movie called CatDog and the Great Parent Mystery, which reveals CatDog's tragic backstory: they were separated from their foster parents when they were babies.
- Unique and creative art style.
- Catdog's design is pretty nice to look at.
- The idea not only attracted a cult following years after the show ended, but it also spawned a lot of theories about a possible real life catdog.
- Catdog proved to be very popular with audiences and merchandise sales, it also managed to run for 7 years before being cancelled.
- The greasers are very likable antagonists and also work well in the final show.
- Can get pretty mean-spirited at times, especially towards cat.
- Some gross-out imagery.
- Some Below average character designs.
- Winslow and rancid can be pretty unlikable at times.
- While the show itself was well recieved, it also garnered a lot of hate for its cruel and mean spirited moments.
- To add insult to the injury, Catdog is also commonly blamed for nickelodeons downfall when in reality, its because of Nick greenlighting a bunch of garbage shows and turning down good shows that would end up on other networks.
- The imfamous scientifically accurate catdog.