WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Change Your Mind is the 29th-32nd episode of the fifth season of Steven Universe, the 157th-160th episode overall, and the final episode in the fifth season. It is the first 44-minute episode in the series, excluding commercials.
For their biggest mission yet, Steven, Connie, and the rest of the Crystal Gems attempt to change the way the Diamonds see Steven, other Gems, and even themselves.
Why It Rocks
- If you thought Reunited was climactic, then this will blow you away. This episode is everything that the show has been building up to for years, and it is simply amazing.
- Three new fusions: the flamboyant Rainbow Quartz 2.0, the 90s PSA cartoon mascot Sunstone and the really awesome Obsidian. And all of their designs and entrances are great.
- Similarly to Reunited, nearly everyone gets a chance to shine in this episode.
- White Diamond is a villain that manages to come off as both intimidating and chaotic at the same time.
- The scene where Steven and Pink Steven embrace and recombine looks so smooth and beautifully done. This is because that scene was animated by none other than famous Disney animator James Baxter.
- In fact, this episode had a total of 12 storyboarders/writers, further showing how huge it was.
- Somehow, it managed to close every story arc established at the start of the show.
- The ending montage of the episode (complete with a new version of the show’s opening theme song) is perfect, and really felt like the end of the entire show (although a movie and possibly a sixth season are in the works).
- Pearl, Garnet, Amethyst, Peridot, and Lapis all get new redesigns.
- Steven fusing with a poofed gem to unpoof them is really clever.
- "Lets take that bully down"
- Depending on your view, Sunstone is seen as weak by other people
- The ending, while okay was pretty disappointing with White getting redeemed too quickly
- Peridot, Lapis Lazuli, and Bismuth don’t get to do much in the second half of the episode
- This is the first time we see Yellow Diamond crying on-screen without Blue Diamond's powers.
- Peridot and Garnet's redesigned visors both resemble those Kamina and Simon wear from the Mecha anime Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Rainbow Quartz 2.0's flamboyant personality greatly references Taako from The Adventure Zone.