Ed, Edd n Eddy is a Canadian-American TV series that aired on Cartoon Network from 1999 to 2009.
Plot[edit | edit source]
The show revolves around three boys who all share the name "Edward" who don't get any allowance from their parents so they can't buy Jawbreakers, their favorite candy. Because of that, they spend most of their time coming up with scams to get money from their neighbors, which in turn makes them the most unpopular kids in town.
Why It Rocks[edit | edit source]
- Its animation is fluid.
- A catchy theme song.
- Effective use of exaggerated sound effects and frequent use of jazz instruments. This along with the good voice acting spawned a meme called "[insert scene from movie/TV show here] but with Ed, Edd n Eddy sound effects".
- It mirrors the realistic problems that preteens go through while growing up.
- The Eds are funny and likable characters.
- The voice acting is good.
- Good humor.
- The Kanker Sisters are seriously creepy antagonists.
- Tons of moments that make it physically impossible to watch without laughing!
- One of the few Cartoon Network shows that has no toilet humor.
- Other memorable, funny, and likable characters, such as Sarah, Kevin, Rolf, Nazz, and Jonny and Plank.
- Amazing use of slapstick.
- Many quotable and funny lines, especially from Ed.
- It was the longest running Cartoon Network show at the time, running for almost 11 years.
- The movie Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show was a nice conclusion to the series.
Bad Qualities[edit | edit source]
- Season 6 was a bit unnecessary, as it only had one episode (two if you count the segments).
- The show never properly used a character outside of the main cast until the series finale, Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show.
- The character designs haven't aged well.
- A few bad episodes, most notably If it Smells Like an Ed, Cleanliness Is Next To The Edness, Sorry, Wrong Ed, Your Ed Here and Smile For The Ed, from the later seasons.
- Sarah and Kevin, while funny, can be very unlikable jerks that rarely get comeuppance.
- While being seriously creepy antagonists, the Kanker Sisters also serve as Villain Sues who almost always get away with the horrible things they do to the Eds. This only happened sparingly in Seasons 1-4, but increased to ungodly levels in Season 5.
- Some gross-out humor.
- Season 5 is often considered the weakest season due to the episodes taking place at school whereas the older season took place on Summer vacation which some people find was the appeal of the show.
- After spending Seasons 1 and 2 as an occasional ally of the Eds, Jonny 2x4 became an annoying loudmouth goofball and saboteur who can't act or function without Plank's input and presence in Seasons 3-6.
- As the series continued 6 characters received total flanderization unlike Jonny 2X4. Eddy becomes a greedy, mean-spirited, but somewhat devious unlikable violent maniac. But is still tolerable depending on your view of him.
- Sarah the show's most unlikable character recieved the biggest flanderization of all. She goes from being a gentle abusing spoiled whiny brat who annoys the Ed's to a violent and controlling diva who decides to beat-up the Ed's for her own fun of amusement.
- Jimmy becomes a vengeful crybaby Tattletale who gets pampered by Sarah.
- Ed becomes a too dumb to live idiot in the last 2 seasons but is still likable in his own way.
- Edd(Double D) became a constant complaining goody-goody two shoes.
- Episodes with horrible endings such as "Ed In A Half-Shell", "For Your Ed Only", "3 Squares And An Ed", "My Fair Ed", "If It Smells Like an Ed", "Pain In The Ed", "Your Ed Here", "Cleanliness Is Next To Edness", "Tinker Ed", "The Good, The Bad and The Ed" and "Smile For The Ed".
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The character of Rolf was loosely based on the show's creator, Danny Antonucci.
- Paul Boyd, who animated the famous title sequence, was shot and killed by a police officer in 2007.
- The plot of the Season 4 episode Here's Mud In Your Ed was inspired by an idea from Kit Topp, the creator of a popular Ed, Edd n Eddy fansite.
- Danny Antonucci was good friends with the creator behind The Ren & Stimpy Show, John Kricfalusi.