Happy Tree Friends (HTF) is an American adult dark comedy series created and developed by Aubrey Ankrum, Rhode Montijo, Kenn Navarro and Warren Graff for Mondo Media. The show is cited as an example of achieving a cult following. It is also infamous for its notable look of looking like a kids show, when in reality, it is a violent adult cartoon.
The show revolves around a bunch of animal friends who live in a forest where they get into unexpected situations where they are killed (but come back alive in the next episode).
Why It Rocks
- Smooth animation.
- Funny plots.
- Interesting characters.
- Some of the deaths are really creative.
- Decent voice acting.
- Likeable characters like, Cuddles, Flaky, Giggles, Petunia, and more, (except bad characters).
- Because of its cult following, it has gained multiple types of merchandise.
- Silly background music.
- The show is like an adult-oriented Looney Tunes.
- It was inspired by the Itchy and Scratchy show in The Simpsons, which by itself is a parody of Tom and Jerry.
- There are child and even infant deaths.
- Annoying theme song.
- Some imagery can be disturbing, especially the image of Lumpy's dead corpse in the episode Wishy Washy, despite being an adult cartoon.
- Their involvement in YouTube Copyright School was awful and didn't teach about copyright strikes at all. And what makes it worse is, YouTube users are required to watch the video when they get a full copyright strike on YouTube.
- The violence gets old quickly.
- The game Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm wasn't well received.
- The characters’ bloody-murder screams get disturbing, which is hard for viewers to pay attention to any scenes.
- Since the series looks like a traditional kids show due to the cute appearance of the characters, children can see this series easily making them get scared or traumatized by the bloody scenes unless some children knew that this series is not suitable for children.