Kid vs. Kat is a Canadian animated television series created by Rob Boutilier. Originally titled Look What My Sister Dragged In, was produced by Studio B Productions and originally aired from YTV between the dates of October 25, 2008 and June 4, 2011. The series follows 10-year-old Coop Burtonburger with his life turned upside down when his sister Millie adopts a stray cat which turns out to be an evil extraterrestrial named Mr. Kat whom he fights and tries to overthrow him in every episode.
Coop Burtonburger, a 10-year-old boy finds his life turned upside down when his younger sister Millie brings home a strange cat who was previously lost. Upon first meeting, he discovers that her pet cat is not an ordinary domesticated cat. Under that disguise is an evil alien mastermind named Mr. Kat who threatens to take over Coop’s life. Hijinks ensue when he forms a battled rivalry trying to defeat him to no end.
- Earworm-worthy but redundant intro song.
- Excellent combination of science fiction and slapstick comedy bundled in one.
- Awesome gadgets from Mr. Kat including a conditioning collar for humans, a weather changer, and a boulder despite being utilized for torturing Coop.
- Extravagant voice actuations from Erin Mathews, Kathleen Barr, Cathy Weseluck, Tabitha St. Germain, Brian Drummond, and Chiara Zanni, name-dropping a few. As with most children’s animation series, grown-up actors were used in the correct fashion for the juvenile characters rather than actual children.
- Some likable characters, such as but not limited to, Dennis,Coop and Fiona.
- Tons of eccentric episode plots.
- The aforementioned gadgets built by Mr. Kat are totally radical.
- Fast-paced Flash animation for a late 2000s-early 2010s standard.
- The title card designs for all episodes are very unique usually involving the titular characters.
- In every episodic, Coop manages to overthrow Mr. Kat which he eventually did in the two-part series finale.
- Can become somewhat rude demented at times, specifically towards Coop.
- The show, while taking place in a saccharine world, has the same storyline as Invader Zim, rooting from the plot of a malevolent extraterrestrial ruling the universe. However, Mr. Kat and Coop seldom team up as displayed in a few episodes.
- Quite a few under-utilized characters used in the series. Fiona being Coop’s love interest notwithstanding was only featured in eight episodes.
- A few character appearances such as the Kat Nebulan Commander in Chief have the most hideous designs imaginable.
- Speaking of Bad Quality #2, though Coop takes the role of Dib Membrane, his character is a blatant knockoff of Jimmy Neutron appearance-wise whilst his voice sounds a tad identical to Oh Yeah! Cartoons—era Timmy Turner
- The disestablishment of Studio B Productions at the end of 2010 murdered every idea of a potential third season being developed. Following its absorption into DHX Media after the sudden uprising of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, show-runner Rob Boutilier tweeted about the series’s cancellation 26 days after its finale aired, on June 30, 2011.
- Some outright disturbing scenes including the episode when Mr. Kat butchered Coop’s body with a weird blender-like gadget.
- A few episodes are outright incredibly bizarre, such as the Season 1 episodic “Fat Kat” involving the alien feline gaining weight to extreme measures much to his human enemy’s amusement.