Rick and Morty is an American animated sci-fi sitcom created by Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon on Adult Swim.
Justin Roiland produced a show called House of Cosbys where a guy named Mitchell lives with a bunch of clones of Bill Cosby, Mitchell's favorite comedian. The show aired on Channel 101, co-founded by Dan Harmon. The show got taken down by Cosby's lawyer, however.
Disgusted by this, Justin created a crude and obscene short parodying Back to the Future (since Bill Cosby was a client of Universal Studios and BttF is produced in Universal Studios) called The Real Animated Adventures of Doc and Mharti. Justin liked his performance at the voice acting and decided to look on this idea further.
Eventually, Dan Harmon was approached by Adult Swim to create a new cartoon original series for the Cartoon Network block. But Dan Harmon didn't have any real experience on animation, however, and decided to call Justin Roiland who pitched the idea of the characters. Thus, Back to the Future's Doc Smith and Marty McFly became Rick and Morty's Rick Sanchez and Morty Smith.
Why It Rocks
- It's scientific and it focuses on exploring universes, which gives the show infinite ideas on creativity.
- Great animation.
- Amazing adventures.
- Rick and Morty have the best voice actors. Justin Roiland voices both Rick Sanchez and Morty Smith, and he even gets himself drunk to help portray Rick.
- Crazy death scenes.
- Easter eggs from Gravity Falls.
- Pickle Rick is a incredible internet meme.
- Amazing action-packed scenes.
- Really creative black comedy.
- Over-the-top satirical violence that even the show pokes fun at sometimes.
- Some alien designs are pretty terrible.
- The character designs and backgrounds look very bland and weird.
- The animation can be weird sometimes, such as the pilot.