Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (also known as Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for its fifth season) is an American action, adventure, comedy, CGI rendered computer-animated television series based on the fictional superhero team. It aired on Nickelodeon in the United States from September 29, 2012 to November 12, 2017. It's the third cartoon series based on the TMNT, after the original series in 1987 and the version in 2003.
Why It Rocks
- Great animation, with the character designs being faithful to the original source material, and the new designs aren't too bad.
- Like 2003, It is a great example of why not all reboots are bad.
- It's one of the darkest incarnations of TMNT only behind the first five seasons of 2003, with complex storylines and dark moments that can appeal to adults., which is rare for many kid's shows today.
- The series, while it is fairly dark, doesn't forget to have the cheesy humor the Turtles are known for and it doesn't try to be extremely edgy.
- As the series goes on, the plotlines get more interesting by the second, with lots of continuity and story arcs.
- Decent musical score.
- Awesome and exciting fight scenes.
- The new villains, such as Dogpound, are still just as good as the older TMNT villains.
- The updated TMNT theme song is catchy.
- An epic series finale that is really emotional.
- The 1987 Turtles make an appearance in two crossovers in the veins of Turtles Forever, and this time are voiced by the original actors.
- Lots of references not just to the 1987 cartoon, but from all of the Turtles lore to be found throughout.
- The Turtles are still likable and memorable characters.
- The main characters are somewhat flanderized from their previous incarnation such as Michelangelo turned into a childish dimwit and Raphael being a hothead.
- Baxter Stockman has become a Butt-Monkey in the series compared to the 2003 counterpart where he said that all his life he has been laughed at, mocked by the turtles and tortured by the shredder.
- It has some scary or violent moments that can frighten younger viewers, like Splinter's death, and Tigerclaw losing his right arm by Alopex.
- Some of the plotlines were never resolved, like the one with Timothy, also known as Mutagen Man, or what happened to Casey's family.
- The series declined in Season 5, it was the season that saw the show moved to Nicktoons, this resulted in an unnecessary season.
- Season 1 while well received, it is arguably considered to be the weakest season.