The Dragon Prince is an American computer-animated fantasy television series created for Netflix by Aaron Ehasz and Justin Richmond and produced by Wonderstorm. It premiered on September 14, 2018.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The series is set in a fantasy world named Xaidia where humans and elves are in conflict. Long ago, the humans used dark magic, and were driven off by the dragons and elves to one end of the continent. Now, after humans killed the dragon king and his only egg, war is imminent. As forces gather, the elves attempt to assassinate the human king Harrow and his heir, the young prince Ezran as revenge against the humans for killing the Dragon king and his only heir. One among the elves, the young Rayla, discovers that the dragon king's egg wasn't in fact destroyed, but stolen. Together with Ezran and his older half-brother Callum, she undertakes to return the egg to the dragons to prevent war. But the mage Viren, King Harrow's advisor, is intent on war. He seizes power after the king dies in the assassination attempt, and sends his children Claudia and Soren after the fugitives.
Why it Rocks[edit | edit source]
- Interesting and engaging storyline and Lore.
- Fun, complex, well-created and diverse characters.
- There is some very good heatwarming and funny moments.
- Shows nuances like never before and doesn't dumb down its subject matter or lore.
- Appeals to both grown-ups and children.
- Great character interactions and developement.
- Avoids many cliches associated with the Fantasy genre.
Bad Qualites[edit | edit source]
- The low framerate of the animation tries to go for a 2D animation feel, but only makes the show's animation feel like a laggy, unoptimized PlayStation 3 game. However, the frame rate has reportedly been adjusted in the second season and onwards.
- There is scenes in the animation with models clipping and warping when they shouldn't, such as Soren's armor.
- False Advertising: The poster shows Sol Regem (The dragon) in it, making him look like he's the main villain, but in the show, the real main antagonists are Viren and Aaravos. Also Sol Regem has little screen time in the show.