The Ren & Stimpy Show is an American animated series created by John Kricfalusi for Nickelodeon. The series features Ren, an manly, yet emotionally unstable chihuahua, and Stimpy, a good-natured, smart, but dimwitted cat. It premiered on August 11, 1991 as one of the original three Nicktoons, along with Rugrats and Doug. Throughout its run, the show was controversial for its off-color humor, sexual innuendo, dark humor, adult jokes, and violence. This controversy contributed to the production staff's altercations with Nickelodeon's Standards and Practices department. The show ended on December 16, 1995, with a total of five seasons and 52 episodes.
Why It Rocks
- Great characters.
- Good plots.
- Great music, especially the theme song.
- Smooth animation.
- Awesome voice acting.
- Mr. Horse is hilarious.
- Ren's epic scream is pure funny.
- "A Scooter for Yaksmas" was an holiday-themed series finale.
- It can have heartwarming and emotional moments, not only the wacky and hilarious moments.
- It perfectly received music CDs, video games, T-shirts and comic books.
- Incredibly awesome songs.
- It uses gross-out humor done right.
- Had so many amazing songs, including the "Happy Happy, Joy Joy" song.
- Billy West doing a lot of voices for the characters was really nice.
- All of the episodes remained to exist on DVD sets and on internet video sites, as of 2019.
- An adult-oriented spin-off could be very disgusting, but turned out to be a cult following among most of the Ren & Stimpy fans.
- Some scenes are EXTREMELY disturbing like this one and THIS one.
- Especially the gruesome disturbing scene with Stimpy goes inside his bellybutton. Wow. Talk about body horror.
- Many of the jokes are inappropriate for its target audience.
- The infamous "It's a Dog's Life", "Jerry the Bellybutton Elf" and "Aloha Hoek" episodes.
- Ren can be unlikable at times. He even tried to kill stimpy not once but twice.
- John Kricfalusi was very good friends with Danny Antonucci, the creator behind Cartoon Network's Ed, Edd n Eddy.
- John Kricfalusi was accused of sexual allegations towards Katie Price and Robyn Byrd in 2018, which was heard from BuzzFeed to Cartoon Brew.
- The pilot "Big House Blues" was in production from 1989, and finished either on the same year, or 1990 before its release on cinemas and Nickelodeon's debut of the show.
- Nickelodeon banned "Man's Best Friend" due to one scene where Ren beats up George Liquor with an oar.
- In 2019, will have a documentary about the show, interviewing the writers of the show, Stimpy's voice actor, Billy West and John K. himself, the documentary was made in a crowdfunding on Indiegogo with $300.000 earned. But however, the documentary doesn't have a release date yet.