Nanatsu no Taizai, also known as The Seven Deadly Sins, is an action, adventure, drama, fantasy, comedy, Shonen Battle anime series Shotaro Suga, written by Tensei Okamura, musically composed by Hiroyuki Sawano and Takafumi Wada, and produced by A-1 Pictures. It was adapted from a manga of the same name written by Nakaba Suzuki and published by Kodansha in Weekly Shonen Magazine.
The Seven Deadly Sins were once an active group of knights in the region of Britannia (ブリタニア Buritania), who disbanded after they supposedly plotted to overthrow the Liones Kingdom (リオネス王国 Rionesu Ōkoku). Their supposed defeat came at the hands of the Holy Knights, but rumors continued to persist that they were still alive. Ten years later, the Holy Knights staged a coup d'état and captured the king, becoming the new, tyrannical rulers of the kingdom. The third princess, Elizabeth, then starts out on a journey to find the Seven Deadly Sins and enlist their help in taking back the kingdom.
Why It Rocks
- Great art style and character designs.
- Incredible music due to Hiroyuki Sawano, one of the best composers in all of anime, being on the soundtrack.
- The characters are some of the most fun, likable, and entertaining in all of Shonen.
- The motif of the Seven Deadly Sins is unique for this type of anime and well fleshed out.
- Despite how cool the characters are, this isn't an anime that solely relies on that, as the characters are deep and interesting, although you may need to watch for awhile to find the interesting qualities in some of them and for some of them to get said depth.
- A lot of the themes are similar to Fairy Tail, except with almost none of that show's fatal flaws.
- Good voice acting in both sub and dub.
- This show actually has pretty good female characters, which most shows like this falter on tremendously. The three biggest standout ones are Merlin, Elizabeth Liones, and Diane.
- Great fight scenes.
- Excellent, gripping drama at select points, the best one being with the story of the Fairy Helbram.
- Escanor was adapted really well.
- Certain things that were only told in Omakes were shown in the main episodes, such as King's and Diane's past.
- Filler is decent.
- This series introduces power levels in season 2, which is one of the worst things that a Shonen Battle Anime can have because they're completely pointless.
- Most of the villains are rather one, (sometimes two), dimensional.
- Certain things from the manga were left out of the anime.
- It has been stated to have worked better as a manga than an anime.