Zig & Sharko (French: Zig et Sharko) is an silent/slapstick comedy series created by Oliver Jean-Marie, and was first released on December 21, 2010 to June 14, 2011 on it's first season. It later had a revival on February 15, 2016.
Plot[edit | edit source]
focuses mainly on Zig (brown hyena), Sharko (great white shark), Marina (mermaid), and Bernie (hermit crab). The plot itself mainly involves Zig attempting to capture Merina, a mermaid who is often guarded by Sharko. Numerous attempts of Zig trying to eat Sharko have failed, but with creative ways.
Why It Rocks[edit | edit source]
- Marina is a very cute, tomboy-esque mermaid.
- Even though it has influence to Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner of the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes cartoons, the show has it's own unique plots, most notably in Season 1. Examples are that Zig actually tries to get Marina rather than set traps.
- The animation and backgrounds has it's unique style, and the hand-drawn animation itself perfectly captures blurs. The flash animation has also decent at second and third seasons.
- The soundtrack manages to use string instrument, bass instruments, and electronic music, thus allowing sounds to vary.
- The main characters themselves along with other side characters are pretty likable and creative.
- It managed to become iconic without having to rely on the exact same plots of Looney Tunes and even Oggy and the Cockroaches (Seasons 1-3, 7-Present) compared to Xilam's other shows which are not as well known.
- Manages to have pretty good characters designs, and the art style is pretty good (most notably in Season 1).
- Starting with Season 2, Marina's modified character design became cuter than she ever was.
- Marina's childish personality is so adorable. Starting with Season 2, her childish personality is increased, to make herself a lot cuter and more huggable.
- The numerous locations in the show add creativity, examples are the cruise ship at Season three has plots that would be hard to execute elsewhere.
- The intro is creative due to using live-action footage and animation, with the theme music from the first season being surreal.
Bad Qualities[edit | edit source]
- The side characters from Season 1 didn't make another appearance, and it wasn't explained in the show how the main characters went from an island at the South Pacific to an island near Madagascar.
- The theme music for the second season sounds extremely stiff.
- Both second and third seasons are poorly-made, due to Zig constantly chasing Marina more often and Sharko often giving unnecessary beatings to Zig.
- However, Marina at least gained more character and personality.
- Marina didn't exactly have that much of a role in Season 1 other than the unaware of being eaten cliche.
- Some mediocre character designs, like King Neptune, Hades, and a couple background characters.
- The modified designs for Zig, Sharko and Bernie looks VERY, VERY stupid.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Xilam's contract with TF1 about production expired, resulted in the side characters being copy-righted. Thus making the second season take place in an island at the Indian ocean near Madagascar.
- Xilam also needed to lower the budget to due budget constraints at Season 1.